Media law & ethics for online publishers, collected and written by Judith Townend (@jtownend). Please note that this site is no longer regularly updated.
Disclaimer: This site contains general information only. This site does not contain legal advice. This site is not responsible for the content of external sites. Enquiries should be made to: jt.townend [at] gmail.com.
Subscribe by email!
Research: Media lawyers, journalists and bloggersPlease get in touch with your views and experiences of libel and privacy law in England and Wales.
- RT @SussCIGR: Full programme now available for #CIGR2019 - one cancellation so a ticket available. If you cannot attend, please cancel so t… 1 day ago
- RT @BitOfALegalGeek: New Guidance, dated yesterday: twitter.com/jamierclarke/s… 2 days ago
- "Sub-Committee on Disinformation"; starting to sound a bit Ministry of Truth-y ? cc. @moidigital @drhenryirving… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 days ago
- RT @gikii: Gikii London 2019 Call for Papers gikii.org/gikii-london-2… https://t.co/7BC7oWbFYQ 2 days ago
- RT @GreensEP: Great news 💪 #EPlenary just adopted the EU #Whistleblower Protection Directive, which will give legal guarantees and protect… 2 days ago
- Press Gazette: Police force behind Newsnight laptop seizure reveals BBC did not contest Terrorism Ac... bit.ly/1kWINpV #medialaw 3 years ago
- RT @JTownend: ...contacted by @igavels about inappropriate use of gavel in @meejalaw logo … there’s a Tumblr of course: http://t.co/o3EERPG… 4 years ago
- [Scotland] COPFS: Guidance on cases involving Communications sent via Social Media: bit.ly/1zgEoBh #medialaw 4 years ago
- [Scotland] COPFS release: Crown Office sets out social media prosecution policy: bit.ly/1zEniLY #medialaw 4 years ago
- RT @infolawcentre: New post: An open and linkable Leveson report… inspiration for legal and policy documents? bit.ly/1xWxXEC cc @ro… 4 years ago
Category Archives: social media
Media partnership / promotion Event: IBC Legal’s 7th Annual Social Media & the Law 2013 – navigating the legal challenges of exploiting social media and user-generated content Date: 28th November 2013, Millennium Knightsbridge Hotel, London Registration: For full details and … Continue reading →
This announcement comes via the excellent Scraperwiki (a start-up I worked with on a series of events in 2010/11). They have teamed up with WAN-IFRA to put on a hack day at Bloomberg on 13 April 2013. In April, global … Continue reading →
The BBC College of Journalism has published a selection of views on the CPS Public consultation on its Interim Guidelines on prosecuting cases involving communications sent via social media, which closes on 13 March 2013. My contribution is below and … Continue reading →
This morning’s Radio 4 Today programme raised the issue of social media users’ “ignorance” around legal issues, with the Director of Public Prosecutions Keir Starmer, who has today issued Interim guidelines on “prosecuting cases involving communications sent via social media”. … Continue reading →
I’ve previously written about Leveson’s online elephant (as had Index on Censorship’s Marta Cooper before me). As the debate intensifies over the shape of ‘press’ regulation (the key question is whether or not a new regulator should be underpinned by … Continue reading →
Earlier this month, I reported that the Senior Presiding Judge and the Senior President of Tribunals has issued new guidance [PDF] to all courts and tribunal judicial office holders in England and Wales. While it does not entirely prohibit blogging … Continue reading →
View original post
The Senior Presiding Judge and the Senior President of Tribunals has issued new guidance [PDF] to all courts and tribunal judicial office holders in England and Wales. While it does not entirely prohibit blogging and social media use, it states: … Continue reading →
On Friday and Saturday (27-28 July) I joined a group of European media bloggers in Bristol for a seminar organised by MediaWise, the EU MediaAct project at UWE and the NUJ New Media Industrial Council. MediaAcT is a European research … Continue reading →