Media law & ethics for online publishers, collected and written by Judith Townend (@jtownend). Please note that this site is no longer regularly updated.
Disclaimer: This site contains general information only. This site does not contain legal advice. This site is not responsible for the content of external sites. Enquiries should be made to: jt.townend [at] gmail.com.
Subscribe by email!
Research: Media lawyers, journalists and bloggersPlease get in touch with your views and experiences of libel and privacy law in England and Wales.
- RT @ClaireAnnesley: @SussexUni Q1 What voting system Q2 What to do with House of Lords? Q3 How to protect human rights? https://t.co/rj1po… 1 hour ago
- RT @ClaireAnnesley: If you're coming to the @SussexUni Community Day, why not design a new Constitution for the UK? Pevensey 1, 2a2. 1 hour ago
- RT @SussexUni: Big welcome to everyone joining us on campus for today's Community Festival! We hope you have a fantastic day! https://t.co/… 1 hour ago
- Community Festival @SussexUni on Sunday will feat @SussexLaw mock court & drafting a constitution for UK. Details: m.sussex.ac.uk/about/communit… 2 days ago
- RT @SussexUni: Just two days left until our free Community Festival! Join us for a fun day of activities for all ages. Book here: https://t… 2 days ago
- Press Gazette: Police force behind Newsnight laptop seizure reveals BBC did not contest Terrorism Ac... bit.ly/1kWINpV #medialaw 1 year ago
- RT @JTownend: ...contacted by @igavels about inappropriate use of gavel in @meejalaw logo … there’s a Tumblr of course: http://t.co/o3EERPG… 2 years ago
- [Scotland] COPFS: Guidance on cases involving Communications sent via Social Media: bit.ly/1zgEoBh #medialaw 2 years ago
- [Scotland] COPFS release: Crown Office sets out social media prosecution policy: bit.ly/1zEniLY #medialaw 2 years ago
- RT @infolawcentre: New post: An open and linkable Leveson report… inspiration for legal and policy documents? bit.ly/1xWxXEC cc @ro… 2 years ago
Category Archives: super injunctions
Promotion IBC Legal’s 20th Anniversary Defamation & Privacy Conference the future of press regulation in the wake of Leveson and the phone hacking scandal the Defamation bill; strengths, weaknesses and what to expect CPD accredited Speakers: Ian Hislop, Editor, Private … Continue reading
The recommended procedure and law around privacy injunctions “isn’t quite fit for purpose” according to Gideon Benaim, a partner at Michael Simkins LLP (formerly of Schillings), writing in the Guardian today. Comments seem to be closed on the piece so … Continue reading
Originally posted on Inforrm's Blog:
A year on from the introduction of the Master of the Rolls’ Practice Guidance, six privacy injunctions have been discharged, but with the claimant’s anonymity maintained in each case. The British media, however, hasn’t…
One of the first slots of the day at the Talk About Local 2012 (un)conference in Birmingham is on media law, led by David Banks, a specialist in the area, who runs a media consultancy. It’s being live-streamed – a … Continue reading
I’ve rounded up the year in media over on Inforrm, month by month. Its notable features included frenzied coverage of “super injunctions”, the development of the phone hacking scandal and the launch of the Leveson Inquiry. Defamation took a back … Continue reading
A juror has become the first person in Britain to be convicted for contempt of court involving the internet, reportedly widely in the press. Meanwhile plenty of libel-related news: a payout for Bond producer Barbara Broccoli, a row between the … Continue reading
Matt Buck on the law, court injunctions and social media…
Has the media’s coverage of super injunctions finally peaked? Probably not… This round up would have to be done in installments to include all the coverage. Instead, this week’s summary will include some of the more thoughtful posts on the … Continue reading
Download Lord Neuberger’s super injunction committee report and a transcript of press conference proceedings at this link, or read the embedded documents below*. An updated history of super injunctions, with definitions, can be found on this page: https://meejalaw.com/super-injunctions/ *Readers by … Continue reading