Media law & ethics for online publishers, collected and written by Judith Townend (@jtownend)
Disclaimer: This site contains general information only. This site does not contain legal advice. This site is not responsible for the content of external sites. Enquiries should be made to: jt.townend [at] gmail.com.
Subscribe by email!
Research: Media lawyers, journalists and bloggersPlease get in touch with your views and experiences of libel and privacy law in England and Wales.
- RT @AdamWagner1: Wow wow wow! - US Supreme Court rules gay marriage is legal nationwide, BBC News bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-… 1 week ago
- by @damianradcliffe on policy options for hyperlocal media: incl. local tv funding, bbc archive & role of tech cos twitter.com/david_hbm/stat… 1 week ago
- RT @FoIManUK: .@SaveFOI has returned in the face of the growing threat to #FOI from the Justice Secretary, outlined here http://t.co/orVElF… 1 week ago
- Just caught @stevenjbarnett @BBCRadio4 on Feedback, on BBC's political / election coverage bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05… ... good discussion! 2 weeks ago
- Really enjoyed #acarm @ICwS_SAS on govt secrecy, reinforcing diff btwn FOI & Open Data @benworthy1 @article19law @CampaignFoI @JamesLowryRAI 2 weeks ago
- RT @JTownend: ...contacted by @igavels about inappropriate use of gavel in @meejalaw logo … there’s a Tumblr of course: http://t.co/o3EERPG… 6 months ago
- [Scotland] COPFS: Guidance on cases involving Communications sent via Social Media: bit.ly/1zgEoBh #medialaw 7 months ago
- [Scotland] COPFS release: Crown Office sets out social media prosecution policy: bit.ly/1zEniLY #medialaw 7 months ago
- RT @infolawcentre: New post: An open and linkable Leveson report… inspiration for legal and policy documents? bit.ly/1xWxXEC cc @ro… 7 months ago
- RT @IndexCensorship: #PressRegulation in the #UK? Share your thoughts with @impressproject today 3-4pm GMT http://t.co/iwi8jFEpf6 7 months ago
Category Archives: privacy
A quick post to flag up the media and communication sessions at the Society of Legal Scholars Annual conference in Edinburgh, 3-6 September (early bird booking until 31 July), put together by section convenor Daithí Mac Síthigh (@macsitigh). The Cyberlaw … Continue reading
Promotion Upcoming conference, 17th September 2013, Millennium Knightsbridge Hotel, London, UK The ultimate review of key developments in the field of media law, featuring analysis of the impact of recent cases, such as: Leveson, Axel Springer/ Von Hannover (No.2) and Spelman v Express Newspapers. … Continue reading
Last week’s round up: The Guardian is attempting to overturn the Attorney General’s veto of the publication of Prince Charles’ correspondence with seven Government departments. An application for judicial review was heard over two days last week by the Lord … Continue reading
Announcement: Launch of new survey on the legal experiences and views of journalists and online publishers
A new survey for journalists and bloggers, which can be found at this link, aims to collect information about their experiences of and views on libel and privacy law A system of arbitration is at the heart of Lord Justice … Continue reading
Promotion IBC Legal’s 20th Anniversary Defamation & Privacy Conference the future of press regulation in the wake of Leveson and the phone hacking scandal the Defamation bill; strengths, weaknesses and what to expect CPD accredited Speakers: Ian Hislop, Editor, Private … Continue reading
My review of the media and legal news for 2012 is now published on the Inforrm blog in three parts: Part 1: January – April Part 2: May – August Part 3: September – December And if you fancy a … Continue reading
Will Leveson’s ‘Arbitration Service’ improve access to justice in civil legal disputes? In Volume IV of his report, Lord Justice Leveson has recommended a new arbitration service for civil legal claims as part of a new system of independent self-regulation … Continue reading