Media law & ethics for online publishers, collected and written by Judith Townend (@jtownend). Please note that this site is no longer regularly updated.
Disclaimer: This site contains general information only. This site does not contain legal advice. This site is not responsible for the content of external sites. Enquiries should be made to: jt.townend [at] gmail.com.
Subscribe by email!
Research: Media lawyers, journalists and bloggersPlease get in touch with your views and experiences of libel and privacy law in England and Wales.
- #humanityoflawyers @BeingHumanFest photos bit.ly/1YwiKEJ @caoilfhionnanna @actfortheact @justinerogers @otium_Catulle @greekie50 2 days ago
- lovely photos #humanityoflawyers @BeingHumanFest - exhib @IALS_law & event @TheInnerTemple bit.ly/1YwiKEJ https://t.co/H6zTNxsdOT 2 days ago
- RT @MichaelEades2: #BeingHuman15 at an end after 11 inspirational days. HUGE thanks to all who made it happen across the UK! https://t.co/… 3 days ago
- RT @infolawcentre: New post: Robin Callender Smith @QMUL: Pics of celebrities' children off limits for media – unless parents consent https… 4 days ago
- piece by @_UoWCIR Marion Oswald @computersandlaw has 3 observations #IPBill - ingredients for "mature debate"? bit.ly/1lfJGtB 4 days ago
- Press Gazette: Police force behind Newsnight laptop seizure reveals BBC did not contest Terrorism Ac... bit.ly/1kWINpV #medialaw 1 month ago
- RT @JTownend: ...contacted by @igavels about inappropriate use of gavel in @meejalaw logo … there’s a Tumblr of course: http://t.co/o3EERPG… 11 months ago
- [Scotland] COPFS: Guidance on cases involving Communications sent via Social Media: bit.ly/1zgEoBh #medialaw 11 months ago
- [Scotland] COPFS release: Crown Office sets out social media prosecution policy: bit.ly/1zEniLY #medialaw 11 months ago
- RT @infolawcentre: New post: An open and linkable Leveson report… inspiration for legal and policy documents? bit.ly/1xWxXEC cc @ro… 1 year ago
Category Archives: events
Professor Lorna Woods, University of Essex, has put together a fantastic panel of lawyers to digest and discuss the long-awaited ECJ judgment in the Google Spain case, which considers whether Google is required to remove links to a 15 year … Continue reading
Event promotion IBC Legal Presents the 21st Annual Defamation & Privacy 2014 20th May 2014, London For full details and to register visit: http://www.ibclegal.com/FKW82452MJLB Agenda here: http://www.ibclegal.com/FKW82452MJLB Speakers include: • Andrew Caldecott QC, Head of Chambers, One Brick Court … Continue reading
Upcoming event, 24 January 2014, Oxford: The challenges of citizen journalism – Technology and the law
I’m off to Oxford on Friday for this event hosted by The Programme in Comparative Media Law and Policy: The challenges of citizen journalism: Technology and the law. According to the details on the website all are welcome to attend. … Continue reading
A few more details about Saturday’s event organised by the National Union of Journalists and the Media Reform Coalition (I’m chairing the libel panel). Just days before the Privy Council is due to sign off the Royal Charter on press … Continue reading
[Booking / full details at Eventbrite] When: Saturday 26 October 2013, 10:00 – 19:00 Where: New Academic Building, Goldsmiths University of London, London SE14 6NW Details: Leveson, royal charter(s), libel reform – UK law is changing and its impact on the internet is … Continue reading
What Leveson missed: 10th anniversary conference of the Institute of Communication Ethics – 25 October 2013
Last week journalist/lawyer David Allen Green asked how many of his Twitter followers had actually consulted the Leveson Inquiry report since its release. The instant response was fairly muted and confined to a handful of academics and campaigners. Whether or … Continue reading
A quick post to flag up the media and communication sessions at the Society of Legal Scholars Annual conference in Edinburgh, 3-6 September (early bird booking until 31 July), put together by section convenor Daithí Mac Síthigh (@macsitigh). The Cyberlaw … Continue reading
Promotion Upcoming conference, 17th September 2013, Millennium Knightsbridge Hotel, London, UK The ultimate review of key developments in the field of media law, featuring analysis of the impact of recent cases, such as: Leveson, Axel Springer/ Von Hannover (No.2) and Spelman v Express Newspapers. … Continue reading