Will Leveson’s ‘Arbitration Service’ improve access to justice in civil legal disputes? In Volume IV of his report, Lord Justice Leveson has recommended a new arbitration service for civil legal claims as part of a new system of independent self-regulation for the British media. He suggests the board of this new body should provide an arbitral process on a cost-only basis to subscribing members of the system, which would be open to ‘all publishers on fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory terms’.
Media law & ethics for online publishers, collected and written by Judith Townend (@jtownend). Please note that this site is no longer regularly updated.
Disclaimer: This site contains general information only. This site does not contain legal advice. This site is not responsible for the content of external sites. Enquiries should be made to: jt.townend [at] gmail.com.
Subscribe by email!
Research: Media lawyers, journalists and bloggersPlease get in touch with your views and experiences of libel and privacy law in England and Wales.
- RT @PenelopeGibbs2: small increase in % BAME magistrates judiciary.gov.uk/publications/j… to 9.3 but still far from total in last census - 14% #JPdi… 5 hours ago
- RT @MediaPlurality: Event @sydneymediacomm 4/8/15: Who’s Afraid of Media Pluralism? w. @adambrereton, @stevenjbarnett, J Keane, B Brevini h… 1 day ago
- RT @TimNewburn: The Inquiry into undercover cops is set to be the most important review of policing for years. Follow @DannyShawBBC & @BBCD… 2 days ago
- RT @the_intercept: UK Police Confirm Ongoing Criminal Probe of Snowden Leak Journalists interc.pt/1LHhGbL by @rj_gallagher http://t.co… 4 days ago
- "...not allowed to clap like an ordinary person but you’re allowed to bray like a donkey?" Mhairi Black #Westminster gu.com/p/4bxm2 5 days ago
- RT @JTownend: ...contacted by @igavels about inappropriate use of gavel in @meejalaw logo … there’s a Tumblr of course: http://t.co/o3EERPG… 7 months ago
- [Scotland] COPFS: Guidance on cases involving Communications sent via Social Media: bit.ly/1zgEoBh #medialaw 7 months ago
- [Scotland] COPFS release: Crown Office sets out social media prosecution policy: bit.ly/1zEniLY #medialaw 7 months ago
- RT @infolawcentre: New post: An open and linkable Leveson report… inspiration for legal and policy documents? bit.ly/1xWxXEC cc @ro… 8 months ago
- RT @IndexCensorship: #PressRegulation in the #UK? Share your thoughts with @impressproject today 3-4pm GMT http://t.co/iwi8jFEpf6 8 months ago