Lots to report in this week’s round up: an apology and damages to Lord McAlpine from the BBC, the latest Transparency Report from Google, news that the Principal of St Mary’s University College in Twickenham has dropped its legal action against a Catholic news website, and freedom of expression and belief issues in Smith v Trafford Housing Trust.
Media law & ethics for online publishers, collected and written by Judith Townend (@jtownend). Please note that this site is no longer regularly updated.
Disclaimer: This site contains general information only. This site does not contain legal advice. This site is not responsible for the content of external sites. Enquiries should be made to: jt.townend [at] gmail.com.
Subscribe by email!
Research: Media lawyers, journalists and bloggersPlease get in touch with your views and experiences of libel and privacy law in England and Wales.
- Discussion @pressgazette on appropriate role for journalists when reporting tragic events: bit.ly/2rD5ZR8 cc. @sallyanneduncan 1 hour ago
- RT @DartCenter: Those covering #Manchester bombing: see tips for interviewing survivors, self-care, working w/traumatic imagery https://t.c… 1 hour ago
- will be responding to this as user of the privacy injunction data: as @inforrm recently observed, the stats are inc… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 hour ago
- judge in charge of RCJ media list is consulting on procedural issues incl. privacy injunction stats via @inforrm bit.ly/2rCJuff 1 hour ago
- RT @infolawcentre: Event: Responding to the WannaCry Attack: Future of UK Cybersecurity Policymaking with @sjmurdoch & Prof David Wall. htt… 1 hour ago
- Press Gazette: Police force behind Newsnight laptop seizure reveals BBC did not contest Terrorism Ac... bit.ly/1kWINpV #medialaw 1 year ago
- RT @JTownend: ...contacted by @igavels about inappropriate use of gavel in @meejalaw logo … there’s a Tumblr of course: http://t.co/o3EERPG… 2 years ago
- [Scotland] COPFS: Guidance on cases involving Communications sent via Social Media: bit.ly/1zgEoBh #medialaw 2 years ago
- [Scotland] COPFS release: Crown Office sets out social media prosecution policy: bit.ly/1zEniLY #medialaw 2 years ago
- RT @infolawcentre: New post: An open and linkable Leveson report… inspiration for legal and policy documents? bit.ly/1xWxXEC cc @ro… 2 years ago