Media law & ethics for online publishers, collected and written by Judith Townend (@jtownend). Please note that this site is no longer regularly updated.
Disclaimer: This site contains general information only. This site does not contain legal advice. This site is not responsible for the content of external sites. Enquiries should be made to: jt.townend [at] gmail.com.
Subscribe by email!
Research: Media lawyers, journalists and bloggersPlease get in touch with your views and experiences of libel and privacy law in England and Wales.
- RT @BrightonSanct: We won! The judge allowed Luqman’s appeal on the spot. A huge thank you to his wonderful counsel, Rebecca Chapman from @… 1 day ago
- Helpful summary/analysis>> New rules for media and communications claims - Iain Wilson and Elisabeth Mason… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- RT @PenelopeGibbs2: % those not entering a plea (guilty/not guilty) up from 52% in 2010 to 74% now -so only minority of defs engage in thei… 1 day ago
- RT @EmilyMacLoud: The brilliant Sophie Walker of @SpeechToJustice joins @Familoo @AdamWagner1 & @MarkHannaMedia this afternoon at @BylineF… 1 day ago
- tempted to open next term's #medialaw #infolaw @SussCIGR lectures with this, can't think of a much better intro to… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- Press Gazette: Police force behind Newsnight laptop seizure reveals BBC did not contest Terrorism Ac... bit.ly/1kWINpV #medialaw 3 years ago
- RT @JTownend: ...contacted by @igavels about inappropriate use of gavel in @meejalaw logo … there’s a Tumblr of course: http://t.co/o3EERPG… 4 years ago
- [Scotland] COPFS: Guidance on cases involving Communications sent via Social Media: bit.ly/1zgEoBh #medialaw 4 years ago
- [Scotland] COPFS release: Crown Office sets out social media prosecution policy: bit.ly/1zEniLY #medialaw 4 years ago
- RT @infolawcentre: New post: An open and linkable Leveson report… inspiration for legal and policy documents? bit.ly/1xWxXEC cc @ro… 4 years ago
Tag Archives: open justice
My paper on public access to the Leveson Inquiry has been published in the new issue of Ethical Space, The International Journal of Communication Ethics. Abstract: The Leveson Inquiry has broken new ground for court and political reporting: for the first … Continue reading
Inforrm's Blog The Leveson Inquiry and Parliament are still on Easter vacation and the new legal term begins on Tuesday 17 April, but there is no shortage of news and commentary to report, following Inforrm’s own mini-break from our usual … Continue reading
Originally posted on Law, Justice and Journalism:
By PA Media Lawyer The press needs to lift its game if the principle of open justice is to be maintained, a senior QC has warned. Part of the rationale for open justice…
Open Justice Week: Scottish court refuses permission to tweet; English High Court allows media access to phone hacking court documents
A quick update on recent open justice themed developments. The Open Justice UK group has been refused permission to live tweet a case in Scotland, as Cristiana Theodoli (@_cric) explains here. While journalists have applied to tweet and tweeting was … Continue reading