Lucy Series, a doctoral researcher at the University of Exeter, and I have submitted a response to the Cabinet Office’s open data consultation. Our focus is opening up data in the legal sphere: court listings, judgments, information about reporting restrictions and expanding the Freedom of Information Act to include more legal bodies. Lucy’s research concerns the Court of Protection and community care. My interests are in defamation and privacy law. Consequently, our comments are predominantly informed by research in those areas. Lucy’s blog can be found here. Please do let us know what you think, either via the comments, Twitter, or email. There is a Google group for people interested in digital open justice at this link.
Media law & ethics for online publishers, collected and written by Judith Townend (@jtownend). Please note that this site is no longer regularly updated.
Disclaimer: This site contains general information only. This site does not contain legal advice. This site is not responsible for the content of external sites. Enquiries should be made to: jt.townend [at] gmail.com.
Subscribe by email!
Research: Media lawyers, journalists and bloggersPlease get in touch with your views and experiences of libel and privacy law in England and Wales.
- Immigration and asylum legal support issues in Brighton - one reason for taking part in the Brighton #legalwalk twitter.com/JusticeGap/sta… 1 day ago
- Good to be at @UoW_CAMRI event on media and elections in Africa with @idil_osman @ivorgaber @HayesMabweazara @ssampaiodias @WinsMan 1 day ago
- Plenty for #infolaw ppl to scrutinize in months ahead w. a Data Protection Bill and a Commission for Countering Extremism in Queen's Speech 1 day ago
- A Courts Bill in the Queen's Speech @PenelopeGibbs2 @seethrujustice @JusticeGap. how much of Prisons and Courts Bill will it replicate? 1 day ago
- Lack of local legal asylum and immigration support - 1 reason we are walking Brighton #legalwalk @SussexLaw… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- Press Gazette: Police force behind Newsnight laptop seizure reveals BBC did not contest Terrorism Ac... bit.ly/1kWINpV #medialaw 1 year ago
- RT @JTownend: ...contacted by @igavels about inappropriate use of gavel in @meejalaw logo … there’s a Tumblr of course: http://t.co/o3EERPG… 2 years ago
- [Scotland] COPFS: Guidance on cases involving Communications sent via Social Media: bit.ly/1zgEoBh #medialaw 2 years ago
- [Scotland] COPFS release: Crown Office sets out social media prosecution policy: bit.ly/1zEniLY #medialaw 2 years ago
- RT @infolawcentre: New post: An open and linkable Leveson report… inspiration for legal and policy documents? bit.ly/1xWxXEC cc @ro… 2 years ago