The biggest news of the week is that the Defamation Bill received Royal Assent and is now the Defamation Act 2013, three years after the publication of Lord Lester’s original Defamation Bill. Inforrm reported the news and context here; a commentary by Jo Glanville, director of English PEN, can be found here. Robert Sharp, also of English PEN, has dissected some of the detail here and here. A report in the Belfast Telegraph reports that Index on Censorship is questioning Stormont’s decision to block the Act from becoming law in Northern Ireland.
Media law & ethics for online publishers, collected and written by Judith Townend (@jtownend). Please note that this site is no longer regularly updated.
Disclaimer: This site contains general information only. This site does not contain legal advice. This site is not responsible for the content of external sites. Enquiries should be made to: jt.townend [at] gmail.com.
Subscribe by email!
Research: Media lawyers, journalists and bloggersPlease get in touch with your views and experiences of libel and privacy law in England and Wales.
- RT @NUJofficial: #NUJ launches local news matters week of action today - nuj.org.uk/news/local-new… #localnewsmatters #media #Ireland #England… 1 day ago
- RT @Sanchia7: Drive for family court transparency a 'limited success' - BBC News @Familoo @julie_doughty @CathyAshley https://t.co/EOi3Q8z… 1 day ago
- RT @MajorFamilyLaw: BBC News - Drive for family court transparency a 'limited success' bbc.co.uk/news/education… 1 day ago
- RT @EUwhistleblower: 📣Shout out to #ECPMF @ #CoE Sign your support for EU-wide #whistleblower protection #DialogueECtHR #WhistleEU #ECHR h… 1 day ago
- this looks great, sorry not to be there! HT @TechJust twitter.com/MediaEu/status… 1 day ago
- Press Gazette: Police force behind Newsnight laptop seizure reveals BBC did not contest Terrorism Ac... bit.ly/1kWINpV #medialaw 1 year ago
- RT @JTownend: ...contacted by @igavels about inappropriate use of gavel in @meejalaw logo … there’s a Tumblr of course: http://t.co/o3EERPG… 2 years ago
- [Scotland] COPFS: Guidance on cases involving Communications sent via Social Media: bit.ly/1zgEoBh #medialaw 2 years ago
- [Scotland] COPFS release: Crown Office sets out social media prosecution policy: bit.ly/1zEniLY #medialaw 2 years ago
- RT @infolawcentre: New post: An open and linkable Leveson report… inspiration for legal and policy documents? bit.ly/1xWxXEC cc @ro… 2 years ago