Lucy Series, a doctoral researcher at the University of Exeter, and I have submitted a response to the Cabinet Office’s open data consultation. Our focus is opening up data in the legal sphere: court listings, judgments, information about reporting restrictions and expanding the Freedom of Information Act to include more legal bodies. Lucy’s research concerns the Court of Protection and community care. My interests are in defamation and privacy law. Consequently, our comments are predominantly informed by research in those areas. Lucy’s blog can be found here. Please do let us know what you think, either via the comments, Twitter, or email. There is a Google group for people interested in digital open justice at this link.
Media law & ethics for online publishers, collected and written by Judith Townend (@jtownend). Please note that this site is no longer regularly updated.
Disclaimer: This site contains general information only. This site does not contain legal advice. This site is not responsible for the content of external sites. Enquiries should be made to: jt.townend [at] gmail.com.
Subscribe by email!
Research: Media lawyers, journalists and bloggersPlease get in touch with your views and experiences of libel and privacy law in England and Wales.
- By @mckinneytweets @FullFact Cracking up: efficiency in the criminal courts bit.ly/1Iuap9P cc. @PenelopeGibbs2 3 days ago
- can't make @gikii @hiig_berlin in late sept & will be v. envious of all those there! Today's deadline for abstracts twitter.com/gikii/status/6… 3 days ago
- I've been doing some housekeeping & remembered my old blog @meejalaw. Little post with a farewell, of sorts: bit.ly/1JzXRTA 3 days ago
- Third attempt at writing out website name without shortening! It's Familycourtinfo (.org.uk) twitter.com/JTownend/statu… 3 days ago
- bit.ly/1fNZmkZ: basic info about family courts for Bristol, Weston, Gloucester and Bath (via @Familoo) twitter.com/JTownend/statu… 3 days ago
- RT @JTownend: ...contacted by @igavels about inappropriate use of gavel in @meejalaw logo … there’s a Tumblr of course: http://t.co/o3EERPG… 7 months ago
- [Scotland] COPFS: Guidance on cases involving Communications sent via Social Media: bit.ly/1zgEoBh #medialaw 7 months ago
- [Scotland] COPFS release: Crown Office sets out social media prosecution policy: bit.ly/1zEniLY #medialaw 7 months ago
- RT @infolawcentre: New post: An open and linkable Leveson report… inspiration for legal and policy documents? bit.ly/1xWxXEC cc @ro… 8 months ago
- RT @IndexCensorship: #PressRegulation in the #UK? Share your thoughts with @impressproject today 3-4pm GMT http://t.co/iwi8jFEpf6 8 months ago