Lucy Series, a doctoral researcher at the University of Exeter, and I have submitted a response to the Cabinet Office’s open data consultation. Our focus is opening up data in the legal sphere: court listings, judgments, information about reporting restrictions and expanding the Freedom of Information Act to include more legal bodies. Lucy’s research concerns the Court of Protection and community care. My interests are in defamation and privacy law. Consequently, our comments are predominantly informed by research in those areas. Lucy’s blog can be found here. Please do let us know what you think, either via the comments, Twitter, or email. There is a Google group for people interested in digital open justice at this link.
Media law & ethics for online publishers, collected and written by Judith Townend (@jtownend). Please note that this site is no longer regularly updated.
Disclaimer: This site contains general information only. This site does not contain legal advice. This site is not responsible for the content of external sites. Enquiries should be made to: jt.townend [at] gmail.com.
Subscribe by email!
Research: Media lawyers, journalists and bloggersPlease get in touch with your views and experiences of libel and privacy law in England and Wales.
- RT @infolawcentre: Upcoming seminar 8 March: Surveillance & Human Rights @HRC_News @ICwS_SAS @SASNews w. @Kirsty_Brimelow @silkiecarlo http… 2 days ago
- RT @infolawcentre: Upcoming seminar 16 March on Openness in Britain in 2016 @IALS_law @SASNews w. @benworthy1 @newsbrooke @CampaignFoI http… 2 days ago
- RT @NoraNiLoideain: Critique of Investigatory Powers Bill-overview by@rossjanderson with David Anderson, Lorna Woods, Ian Walden & ors: ht… 2 days ago
- excellent stuff from David Vincent #ipbillcrassh, drawing attention to the elasticity of national security interests #ipbill 6 days ago
- Vincent questions substance of National Security, Serious Crime & Economic Well-Being criteria: what do they mean? #ipbill #ipbillcrassh 6 days ago
- Press Gazette: Police force behind Newsnight laptop seizure reveals BBC did not contest Terrorism Ac... bit.ly/1kWINpV #medialaw 3 months ago
- RT @JTownend: ...contacted by @igavels about inappropriate use of gavel in @meejalaw logo … there’s a Tumblr of course: http://t.co/o3EERPG… 1 year ago
- [Scotland] COPFS: Guidance on cases involving Communications sent via Social Media: bit.ly/1zgEoBh #medialaw 1 year ago
- [Scotland] COPFS release: Crown Office sets out social media prosecution policy: bit.ly/1zEniLY #medialaw 1 year ago
- RT @infolawcentre: New post: An open and linkable Leveson report… inspiration for legal and policy documents? bit.ly/1xWxXEC cc @ro… 1 year ago