Lucy Series, a doctoral researcher at the University of Exeter, and I have submitted a response to the Cabinet Office’s open data consultation. Our focus is opening up data in the legal sphere: court listings, judgments, information about reporting restrictions and expanding the Freedom of Information Act to include more legal bodies. Lucy’s research concerns the Court of Protection and community care. My interests are in defamation and privacy law. Consequently, our comments are predominantly informed by research in those areas. Lucy’s blog can be found here. Please do let us know what you think, either via the comments, Twitter, or email. There is a Google group for people interested in digital open justice at this link.
Media law & ethics for online publishers, collected and written by Judith Townend (@jtownend)
Disclaimer: This site contains general information only. This site does not contain legal advice. This site is not responsible for the content of external sites. Enquiries should be made to: jt.townend [at] gmail.com.
Subscribe by email!
Research: Media lawyers, journalists and bloggersPlease get in touch with your views and experiences of libel and privacy law in England and Wales.
- RT @peterjukes: 27 years to the day since Daniel Morgan murdered. Spare a thought for @AlastairMorgan who has never given up seeking justic… 6 hours ago
- 'how privatisation really works' @opendemocracy @claresambrook bit.ly/1qeeg5p cf. contractors' exemption from FOI… @FOIdirectory 3 days ago
- RT @MaryRachel_McC: 1. Paddy Hill of #Birmingham6 warns legal aid cuts mean 'more innocent people going to jail' bit.ly/1kBZoNc 3 days ago
- RT @MaryRachel_McC: En route to London for #GraylingDay? Some @JusticeGap light reading for the train coming up…. http://t.co/g5Bj1UUQKa 3 days ago
- Cameron quizzed on FOI extension to private co.s w. public contracts via @FOIdirectory bit.ly/1fbzBDt @CLARESAMBROOK @openDemocracy 3 days ago
- Courts listing data - one step back | Talk About Local: bit.ly/O2cpBE #medialaw 3 days ago
- Hackgate in 140 characters, Peter Jukes - British Journalism Review, Vol. 25, No. 1, 2014: bit.ly/1nmZAP3 #medialaw 3 days ago
- RT @copyrightgirl: Some great tools to help protect and/or licence your photos online: bbc.in/1cfJ1mG HT @MattNavarraUK @BBCClick #… 3 days ago
- Irish Times [28 Feb]: Adoption cases at High Court adjourned pending protocol on media coverage - Th... bit.ly/NEjpVg #medialaw 3 days ago
- RT @jonslattery: Media Quotes of the Week: Journalists who've more Twitter followers than their papers and why pay for the Guardian?http://… 3 days ago