Lucy Series, a doctoral researcher at the University of Exeter, and I have submitted a response to the Cabinet Office’s open data consultation. Our focus is opening up data in the legal sphere: court listings, judgments, information about reporting restrictions and expanding the Freedom of Information Act to include more legal bodies. Lucy’s research concerns the Court of Protection and community care. My interests are in defamation and privacy law. Consequently, our comments are predominantly informed by research in those areas. Lucy’s blog can be found here. Please do let us know what you think, either via the comments, Twitter, or email. There is a Google group for people interested in digital open justice at this link.
Media law & ethics for online publishers, collected and written by Judith Townend (@jtownend)
Disclaimer: This site contains general information only. This site does not contain legal advice. This site is not responsible for the content of external sites. Enquiries should be made to: jt.townend [at] gmail.com.
Subscribe by email!
Research: Media lawyers, journalists and bloggersPlease get in touch with your views and experiences of libel and privacy law in England and Wales.
- Funded PhD opportunity @UoW_CAMRI based at Uni of Westminster & EIJC, Leipzig on Press & Media Freedom in Europe bit.ly/1rxbxou 16 hours ago
- Now looking forward to rural spaces session in community communication; will talk about UK hyperlocals #iamcr2014 6 days ago
- open letter from @ChrisTMarsden @PaulbernalUK @macsithigh @lilianedwards et al on #drip bill: slidesha.re/1jU8HsV 1 week ago
- final law session #iamcr2014 w Chun Liu, Juan Du, Anthony Lowstedt at 2pm TB6 China/India/transnational - broadband/governance/human rights 1 week ago
- superb overview & analysis - thanks! via @bainesy1969: @eatplaylaw's comprehensive write up of #rewritinghistory bit.ly/1rgyDkD 1 week ago
- The Herald [Zimbabwe]: Fib law struck off statutes: bit.ly/1pKIsTz #medialaw 16 hours ago
- RT @TimesLaw: Total clear out of law officers with both Dominic Grieve and Oliver Heald gone in reshuffle. Who is in charge overnight? #re… 1 week ago
- Press Gazette: Ten ways to ensure you don't get sued for libel (from Press Gazette's Defamation 2014... bit.ly/1ou3ANb #medialaw 2 weeks ago
- Mishcon: Defamation clarity for Parliamentary Privilege once again after a twenty year detour?: bit.ly/1oso6O4 #medialaw 2 weeks ago
- RT @nickycain: 2nd reading of the Deregulation Bill (with media & comms provisions) in the House of Lords after 14:30 today: http://t.co/IN… 2 weeks ago