Lucy Series, a doctoral researcher at the University of Exeter, and I have submitted a response to the Cabinet Office’s open data consultation. Our focus is opening up data in the legal sphere: court listings, judgments, information about reporting restrictions and expanding the Freedom of Information Act to include more legal bodies. Lucy’s research concerns the Court of Protection and community care. My interests are in defamation and privacy law. Consequently, our comments are predominantly informed by research in those areas. Lucy’s blog can be found here. Please do let us know what you think, either via the comments, Twitter, or email. There is a Google group for people interested in digital open justice at this link.
Media law & ethics for online publishers, collected and written by Judith Townend (@jtownend)
Disclaimer: This site contains general information only. This site does not contain legal advice. This site is not responsible for the content of external sites. Enquiries should be made to: jt.townend [at] gmail.com.
Subscribe by email!
Research: Media lawyers, journalists and bloggersPlease get in touch with your views and experiences of libel and privacy law in England and Wales.
- RT @macsithigh: Honoured to be on @infolawcentre's Advisory Board ials.sas.ac.uk/research/clip/… with some real stars of the field. Centre launch e… 2 days ago
- Via @ConversationUK, @meljbunce @cityjournalism: Serial’s ethics of true-crime reporting are commendable bit.ly/1Jlvlnq 2 days ago
- Event 20/01. DP Act 1984, FoI Act 2000: 30 + 15 yrs on. James Michael lecture @IALS_law bit.ly/1w5jcIP @bainesy1969 @foiman @Inforrm 3 days ago
- RT @rasmus_kleis: Come work with us! "@risj_oxford: Have you prepared your #journalism #fellowship application? Deadline 30 Jan 2015 http:… 3 days ago
- Isobel Williams’ work relevant to discussion at L. Mulcahy’s seminar @citycljj on photog ban bit.ly/1sIB5CZ @LSELaw @JudicialImages 4 days ago
- RT @JTownend: ...contacted by @igavels about inappropriate use of gavel in @meejalaw logo … there’s a Tumblr of course: http://t.co/o3EERPG… 1 week ago
- [Scotland] COPFS: Guidance on cases involving Communications sent via Social Media: bit.ly/1zgEoBh #medialaw 2 weeks ago
- [Scotland] COPFS release: Crown Office sets out social media prosecution policy: bit.ly/1zEniLY #medialaw 2 weeks ago
- RT @infolawcentre: New post: An open and linkable Leveson report… inspiration for legal and policy documents? bit.ly/1xWxXEC cc @ro… 3 weeks ago
- RT @IndexCensorship: #PressRegulation in the #UK? Share your thoughts with @impressproject today 3-4pm GMT http://t.co/iwi8jFEpf6 1 month ago